Website Ascent Global Logistics
Purpose: The General Manager is the leader of the entire operations team, and provides direction, guidance, corrective action and support to each of the members of the team, with support of the Team Lead or department supervisors. The General Manager has a fiduciary duty to the company to ensure client retention, financial health, staff development, and office sales goals are met by the team.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Ensures customs compliance by exercising reasonable care and control over the office
- Managing and/or approving post entry operations and day to day operational support including systems, client questions and research
- Client set up, introduction and maintenance
- Assists in the growth of company/business development and profitability
- Monitor annual budget and ensure financial goals are met, review updates and progress regularly with the executive team
- Assists in rate negotiations by supplying pertinent data and customer requirements to management, in addition to overseeing rate filings for local clients
- Work in conjunction with the sales team to vet potential business opportunities
- Answer all general inquiries and quotes promptly
- Interview, hire, terminate, corrective action and regular staff conversations
- Oversee the timekeeping system and ensure accurate time is recorded for approval
- Annual reviews for exempt/supervisor employees and others if needed
- Recommend and implement salary changes for staff
- Other duties as assigned
Receives general guidance with respect to overall objectives; work is usually very independent of others but operates in a team environment; operates within the division or department policy guidelines using independent judgment in achieving assigned objectives.
Qualifications and Requirements: The qualifications and requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions when requested.
- High school diploma or GED required. College degree requested
- 7 years of industry experience required
- 5 years of management experience required
- Strong business acumen
- Proven problem solving and analysis skills
- Proven effective leadership
- Project management skills
- Strategic decision-making skills
Language Skills: Relies on written and verbal communication. Communicates internally with all internal employees; externally with customers, agents, consignees and prospects.
Technical Experience: International Logistics-all modes. Strong understanding of the Customs Process. Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel knowledge.
Managerial Experience: Ability to manage time and work efficiently. Ability to manage time independently. Ability to manage and lead a team effectively.
Office Skills: Keyboarding, filing and ten-key skills. MS Office. Familiar with Sales and Marketing Software/CRM. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, rates, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Prioritize and organize tasks.
- Handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
Specific Skills: Must possess a current valid driver’s license. Involves a high degree of responsibility for working with, safeguarding and controlling highly restricted information, knowledge or important confidences and criterion-related to research and development of customer data, future plans, policies, business prospects, finances, etc. the release of which could have a detrimental effect and impact on the company’s affairs or undermine its competitive position. Must be self-motivated and have the ability to maintain confidentiality. Must be friendly, punctual, organized, have a positive attitude and be able to work unsupervised
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounter while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions when requested.
- Light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of an administrative nature.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, work on a computer, reach and handle items, work with the fingers, see clearly at 20 feet or more, have depth perception, peripheral vision, adjust focus and talk and hear others in conversations via the phone or in person.
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principal functions of the position and are not intended to be all-inclusive. The position and any of the requirements listed above are subject to change at any time according to the changing needs of the company. Ascent Global Logistics is a participant in the C-TPAT program and, as such, requires safety and security to be the responsibility of all personnel. Each individual will be provided training and is responsible to report any threats or anomalies to management or security immediately. Ascent Global Logistics is an EOE.