Ascent Global Logistics
AugFLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Operations Team Leader
Purpose: A Capacity Specialist is charged with developing relationships with carrier partners to match loads with available capacity. This specialist must possess a strong understanding of the industry, be forward thinking and can build strong relationships both internally and externally to meet pre-established goals.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Work in concert with all team members, including Customer Specialist, Operations Specialist, Dedicated Account Leaders and the sales group to support the office’s initiatives
- Develop new carrier relationships to meet current business needs
- Ability to adjust to market conditions to ensure optimal rate procurement
- Monitors carrier performance to ensure the shipper’s requirements are being met
- Ensure that all carrier partners are accurately dispatched and positioned for success
- Support the office’s goals by having a strong, operational understanding the shipper’s requirements and the carrier’s ability to meet those requirements
- Ensure the information contained on the carrier confirmation is accurate & complete
- Enter the carrier’s dispatcher and driver information into the TMS system
- Initiate the tracking request to the driver
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of carrier onboarding, paperwork submission & settlement processes
- Foster a safe operating environment by having a strong understanding of DOT regulations, including Hours of Service (HOS)
- Provide carrier support by addressing inquiries received by email or phone in a timely, courteous, and professional manner
- Resolve carrier issues and recommends corrective and preventative actions to improve overall service to all stakeholders
- Recommends, develops and enhances operational procedures in order to improve internal processes and overall service
- Participate in proactive team efforts, including extensive cross training, to achieve office’s revenue, gross margin & overall production goals
Receives guidance with respect to overall objectives; work with operations and within company and department policies and guidelines using independent judgment to achieve assigned objectives.
Qualifications and Requirements: The qualifications and requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Computer / Phone Skills
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint) and Email
- Internal TMS Software
- Internal Phone System
- Ability to effectively present and communicate with other team members and carrier customers
- Knowledge of domestic modes of transportation
- Knowledge of customer contracts and tariffs (accessorials).
- Knowledge of freight classes
- Knowledge of freight bill processing
- Experience in brokerage, forwarding, and/or carrier operations
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Other/Additional Job Elements
Include any additional information specific to this position that is not represented elsewhere in this job description (i.e. special requirements, working conditions, non-standard work schedule, etc.).
- Knowledge of company policies
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to complete special projects as assigned
- Provide after-hours phone coverage and customer service when required
- Ability to work flexible shifts